Splashing in the ocean, grilled food, and outdoor fun all are heralded thoughts of the summertime. While all of these wonderful memories are reminiscent of the summer, most of us still have to retreat inside to get our 9-to-5’s done.
But thinking of the summertime fun you are missing while inside under air conditioning and lights can sometimes take a toll on your motivation to get office work done. Luckily, you can jazz up your office space during the summertime to maintain that vacation mood and be more productive as a result.
Try these tips to spruce up your office this summer:
1. Embrace the summer. If you spend your time begrudging your job because you want to be out enjoying the summer, your productivity will suffer because your negative thoughts will set the tone for your work process. Embrace the summer by switching up your decor.
• Lighten up. Clean out your officce space and then add some little twinkling string lights, a few sea shells and a blooming plant. Just little changes will get your spirits pumping and your creative juices flowing.
• Keep in mind that if you work in a corporate environment, many offices have set rules for cubicle decor policies. These are made to ensure your safety (such as to prevent a fire from string lights) so find out about the office policies.
2. Vibrant accents. Is the ocean your happy place? Bring in some colors of carribbean blues and greans. Love to escape to the cool mountains? Add a couple of small natural wood accents or event a small desk top water fountain with trickling water that reminds you of a cool mountain stream. Incorporate these changes in hues to amp up the positive atmosphere in your workplace.
• Bring in a little bowl filled with colorful candy that reminds you of summer – like taffy or watermelon Jolly Ranchers – and set a playful tone for the summer season!
3. Make yourself at home. When you feel comfortable in your work environment, you’re more likely to be productive. Just a small dab of personality and a touch of home will make you flourish when it comes to getting things done.
• If you’re a sports fan, place a plaque of your favorite team on your desk. If your favorite color is purple, place a purple throw pillow on your guest chair.
4. Please your taste buds. One of the best things about the summer is refreshing, fresh food. Stash packets of quick mix lemonade or ice-tea flavors in your drawer to delight your heart and please your palette.
• If you work in a corporate environment rather than a home office, give everyone a piece of the action! Bake a pie (or buy one!) from fresh berries and bring it into the office kitchenette. People are less likely to scoff in jealousy at your delight if they’re able to savor the sweets with you.
5. Aromatherapy. Your sense of smell is one of the most powerful senses in your arsenal. Place invigorating candles and scented oils in your office space to inspire creativity and stimulate your productivity.
• Mint, cucumber melon, pomegranate, honeydew melon, and clean linen are powerful scents that are sure to help you clear your mind.
• If your office has a policy against candles or oils, bring in little scented hand lotions and just treat yourself to a little aromatherapy throughout the day.
With a little ingenuity and a small amount of cash, your office can go beome an extension of your summertime fun. Your productivity will certainly increase. Another great bonus is that you’ll actually like going into work each morning. Get your ideas flowing and give your office a seasonal makeover that will make your coworkers green with envy!