It is natural to want to be a success in our daily lives. Sometimes we look at others and we think they are a success, and whether they are or not, there are probably some characteristics about that person that give us that impression.
Let’s consider some of those features that are shared by successful people – and we may realize that we too are a success or at least, well on our way!
A relevant aspect of portraying success is image. Your image is compiled of your personal appearance and how you behave, plus your attitudes. If you want to project success to others, follow the tips below.
Your Physical Body
Take a thorough look at your physique. If you were to see someone whose physical body looked like yours, would you see them as successful? Survey these aspects:
1. Your skin/facial complexion. How is your self care? Do you make an effort to look your best and to care for yourself? Self neglect shows up first in our complexions, so take a few extra minutes to put your best foot forward – through your face!
2. Your teeth. Because your teeth are integral to your smile (not to mention good health), how do they look? During the pandemic, we all know those who have had a tendency to become relaxed about personal care, but that comes with a toll beyond whether someone can smell our breath. Do you need dental care?
3. Your hair. Maintain neat and clean hair. Regular, consistent haircuts and styling helps to emphasize that we pay attention to details. Even if you work remotely, take the time to prep your hair for the day.
4. Shape of your body. Looking at your own physique honestly and without judgment can be a real challenge. However, if you can do it with an honest, open heart and diplomacy, you’ll be able to tackle the areas that trouble you as well as love and embrace the areas that aren’t going to change. When we love and accept ourselves, it radiates from the inside out.
5. Overall upkeep of your body. Whether you’re a woman or a man, do you keep nails and cuticles looking healthy and taken care of? Do you apply lotion to banish skin dryness? Taking time for the final touches contributes to your confidence and a successful look.
What changes should you make, if any? If your skin is clear, your teeth are healthy, and you’re proud of your body and how well you maintain it, then you’re on your way to looking successful.
Evaluating your own behavior isn’t easy. Take a closer look at how you act around others – your family members, friends, and co-workers.
1. Overall, how you conduct yourself is the key. Although the meaning of the words, “lady” and “gentleman” has morphed over the years, ponder about how people might view you. If you had to sum up your behavior in one word, what would that word be?
2. Do you verbally express yourself well? Do you speak with clarity and proper words to convey your message? Your verbal expression “tells the tale” of how successful you are.
3. Do you display good listening skills? A successful person is more focused on listening to what others have to say rather than doing all the talking. The ability to listen is important for those who strive to appear successful.
4. Make it a point to take care of business. If you use efficiency in your personal and professional lives, you’ll stand a better chance of looking successful.
5. Keep things around you neat and organized. When you can quickly retrieve what you’re looking for and live in a well-taken-care-of home and office, you get things done more quickly. Being neat and organized is often an important aspect of success.
When it comes to looking successful, your behavior matters. How you conduct yourself illustrates your true level of success.
Finally, your approach to life – your attitude – is an integral part of appearing (and being) successful.
1. Do you think positively? A successful person is compelled to move forward in life. Thinking positively makes this possible.
2. Use tact and diplomacy. Make it a goal to use a business-like attitude when approaching others. You’ll accomplish far more this way.
3. Show care and concern toward others. The attitude you portray toward others will contribute to your own success. Treating others as equals and being concerned about them can even draw others to you.
Your attitude is important to appearing successful. Thinking positively, using tact and diplomacy and demonstrating care toward others are elements to possess when you’re striving to look successful.
If you want to be successful, you must “act” the part. If you take care with your body, consider your own behavior, and keep positive attitudes, you’re likely to not only look successful but you’ll also be successful as well.