Do you spend your morning in a manic rush to get out the door? Do you arrive at work feeling ready to take on the day? Getting your day off to a good start is the best way to ensure you have a good day. Whether you realize it or not, you have a morning routine. But is your morning routine as effective as it could be?
Enhance your morning routine and have a better day:
1. Wake up early. Waking up early provides a sense of control and avoids the feelings of anxiety that occur when time is an issue. Go to bed early if necessary. Giving yourself an extra thirty minutes in the morning will make your pre-work time leisurely and pleasant. Try to wake up 5 minutes earlier each day for the next 6 days.
2. Meditate for a few minutes. The typical 9-minute snooze is an appropriate amount of time for a short meditation session. Just breathe and pay attention to your breath. As your mind wanders, simply bring it back to your breath. You’ll be surprised by how calming this can be.
3. Have a large glass of water. Everyone is dehydrated after 7+ hours of sleeping. Allow yourself to have a large glass of water before doing anything else. In fact, anytime you’re feeling sluggish throughout the day, a glass of water will frequently help. Keep a bottle of water at your desk.
4. Get 5 minutes of exercise. Five minutes might not seem like much, but it’s enough time to get your heart pumping and become more alert. Walk up and down the stairs a few times or march in place. If you have a treadmill, use it. You’re just trying to move and warm your body.
5. Recite affirmations. While in the shower, recite affirmations to yourself. The particular affirmations you use are entirely up to you. Consider using affirmations that are likely to enhance your mood or support your goals. Here are a few suggestions:
• I’m having a great day.
• I enjoy my job and my life.
• I am ready to tackle work with enthusiasm and a smile.
• I weigh 135 lbs.
You’re in the shower anyway. Instead of worrying about work, why not use the time to make yourself feel better?
6. Eat a healthy breakfast. A good breakfast will keep your energy up and fuel your day. A healthy morning meal often leads to a healthy lunch. Try different types of breakfast foods and determine which works the best for you.
7. Review the tasks you need to complete for the day during your commute. Check your to-do list before heading out the door. On the drive to work, mentally review those tasks and consider the most effective strategy to get those responsibilities accomplished.
8. Listen to something that makes you feel good. The last 10 minutes of your commute, listen to something that inspires and energizes. We all have a song that makes us feel like we can take on the world. Maybe it’s the Rocky theme or a song by your favorite band. Pull into the parking lot or subway station feeling great and ready to tackle the day.
Most of this morning routine doesn’t add any time at all to your day. It’s a matter of using the dead time you’re probably wasting. With 20 minutes, you can enhance your morning and the rest of your day. Consider other ways to build upon your current morning activities. Getting off to a good start is the best way to enjoy a great day.